Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I'm Here!

I have finally arrived in Cambodia and all my luggage made it here safe and sound too! It still seems somewhat unreal that I am actually here. I am definitely in the honeymoon phase of being here as I love it! However, I don't know if I would every want to drive here, and that includes riding a bike here, as the roads are crazy but I love it none the less. I went to the market this morning and found that I can get gap t-shirts for $3 US!!!!!! Sweet eh?! The only problem is finding my size. The heat is bearable and I am adjusting to constantly being wet from sweat. The Laings, who I am temporarily staying with, are really great and they have a beautiful house.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to go with Bev Laing to interview a family for child care plus. The kids were so adorable. They do not have the same social constructs about colours as we do and so it is natural for guys to wear pink or to drive a pink moto. One of the children was wearing pink at the interview and so we had to ask to see if it was a boy or girl as we couldn't tell. Anyhow, I really hope people sponsor these children as they are so sweet and sponsoring the children enables them to attend school and provides medical care for the family.

So that is just a breve summary of my first little while on this side of the world. I can't wait until I am able to communicate with everyone, at least a bit, other than just saying hi, how are you, and thank you. Well now I am going to go practice some basic language.

God Bless!
Bec

1 comment:

Madison said...

Randomly yesterday I was thinking about you, and how/if/when you would be in Cambodia! I am so excited that it finally worked out and you are there.