Friday, June 20, 2008

Today's Adventure!!!!!!!!!!

It is 4:48 on a Friday night and I am zonked and wishing it was bedtime. So today I was on my own and I decided to go wander around the city and familiarize myself with it and then I had a meeting with someone about renting their place. I walked a bit until I found a tuk tuk and it took me to the waterfront. I was too soft and so he overcharged me for my ride. Then, I wandered around a bit and an English speaking tuk tuk driver found me and offered to take me to the memorial for the killing fields for $2 so I said okay. While there I took one of the paths which took me to a deserted area filled with begging children. My first reaction was to clutch my purse, say no, and coward in fear. I was shocked that that was how I felt. Yes I was all alone, but they were children who could use some attention and so I tried talking to them and getting to know them. This picture is of four of them. The one in the pink and orange is Tom and the tall one is Wii. Wii walked beside me a told me that he attends university in the morning for math and then in the afternoon he begs. We had a good conversation but whenever the other children were around he would start begging me for money again. It broke my heart. This boy has so much potential and yet here he is begging.


This next picture is of a skull from the killing fields. It was a very sad experience to walk around and see the marked spots of the open graves.


Afterwards I took my tuk tuk to the Russian Market to have lunch. When I got out the tuk tuk driver decided that instead of $2 he wanted $15 US. I was able to bring him down a little. After lunch, because I was frustrated with tuk tuk drivers trying to overcharge me, I decided to walk to the house that I was going to be looking at. I got really really lost! I nice Cambodian French man found me and took my map and started to walk with me showing me where to go. He invited me to his place, which was a little sketchy, but I said no and so he just continued showing me where to go. He walked me all the way to the place where I was going. He was a really sweet 73 year old man, but I have to admit I was a little freaked out (especially after spending a year studying sex trafficking and recruitment methods). But God was with me and God definitely used this experience to open my eyes to a number of things!
So those are the highlights of today's adventures!
Please pray for wisdom as I decide if this place is where I should be living.
Love you guys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome adventures, beca! You're brave! God is with you.

I have a Bible verse for you:

Joshua 1.9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.

That whole section is good, it's about battle and knowing God and the word. You'd like it :)

Love yoU!

Sanda said...

Love, you are brave! I wish I could be there with you to be having an adventure! I'm praying for ya!

lots of love,
s.